¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 RICA Russians
2 red bell peppers, sliced
2 yellow onions, sliced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp dried oregano
½ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 cup red wine
1 (15-oz) can diced tomatoes
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
4 – 6 fresh Italian sandwich rolls (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the Russians and cook until brown on both sides, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and drain.
2. Keeping the pan over medium heat, add the peppers, onions, salt, and pepper and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the oregano, basil, and garlic and cook 2 more minutes.
3. Add the tomato paste and stir. Add the red wine, tomatoes, and chili flakes, if using. Stir to combine, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release all the browned bits. Bring it to a simmer.
4. Cut the Russians into 4 to 6 pieces each, about 2cm cubes. Add the Russians back to the pan and stir to combine. Cook until the sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes.
5. Serve in bowls. Or, if serving as a sandwich, split the rolls in half lengthwise. Hollow out the bread from the bottom side of each roll, being careful not to puncture the crust. Fill the bottom half of the roll with Russian mixture. Top and serve sandwiches immediately.