Olivier Salad (Russian Potato Salad)– this fancy potato salad is traditionally made for holidays in all Slavic families. It is made of potatoes, eggs, carrots, sausage, pickles, peas, and mayo. Using smoked sausage in this salad ups the flavor and makes it all that much more delicious!
- 3 medium potatoes about 3 cups, cooked with skins on, peeled, then diced
- 3 medium carrot about 1.5 cups, cooked with skins on, peeled, then diced
- 8 eggs cooked, peeled, diced to ¼” cubes
- 3 cup smoked salami type sausage diced to ¼” cubes
- 1 cup peas frozen or canned
- 1 1/2 cup pickles naturally fermented or store bought, diced to ¼” cubes (use less if your pickles are more sour)
- ½ cup scallions about 4 scallions, chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped parsley (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped dill
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black ground pepper
- Clean potatoes & carrots with a brush and place them in a pot. Cover with water and boil over medium heat until vegetables are easily pierced with a fork but still have a bit of resistance, about 20-25 minutes from the time the water comes to a boil. Do not overcook. Once cooked, drain the water and allow the vegetables to cool completely. Putting them in the freezer for about 15 minutes before cutting will help them retain the shape better. Do not freeze them though.
- Cook eggs in a pot covered with water for 5 minutes after the water comes to a boil. Drain the water, cover with cold water and allow to cool completely, then peel the eggs. Set aside.
- While the vegetables are cooking and cooling dice the polish sausage & pickles. Chop the scallions, parsley & dill. Set aside.
- Once the potatoes, carrots and eggs have cooled down completely, dice them into small cubes ( about ¼”).
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl with 2 cups mayo, 1 tsp salt & 2 tsp pepper, and mix until everything is evenly coated. Taste and adjust the amount of mayo first and then the seasoning.